Is this really happening???

  I went to bed really early on Saturday January 13th even though it was mine and my husband’s 12 year anniversary together. I opted for a tiny salad for dinner as I just didn’t have an appetite and was completely wiped out. Even though I had taken a nap early that day.



    I woke up a little before midnight with what felt like a contraction but I had to use the bathroom really bad so I thought that it was just my bladder waking me up. When I laid back down the same pain came radiating through my abdomen again so I assumed I just didn't empty my bladder completely. When I sat down there was a huge gush like the Niagara Falls and my stomach started shrinking before my eyes. I just sat on the toilet and yelled to Jake who had just gotten into bed that my water broke!



   Jake brought me my phone and I called the on call doctor. While I waited for them to call back I realized my entire family who usually watches my daughter was on vacation in Florida. I was also terrified that my family wasn't home and I had no clue what was going to happen. On top of being scared of what was going to happen with the boys I was also worried about what we were going to do with Harper. We were able to get my brother in law to stay at our house until my mother in law got done with work in the morning to care for Harper. The doctor called me back to let me know we should go to a different hospital that had the abilities to care for babies born so early.



   When we arrived at the hospital I had been having a few contractions but nothing that was super painful or consistent. They checked me over with the ultrasound quickly to see where the boys were sitting. It was Elijah’s sac that broke and he was positioned head down and Owen had himself tucked up by my ribs and was in the breech position.

They started me on magnesium sulfate to stop the contractions and help with the babies brains as well. The magnesium sulfate makes you feel like you're on fire and overall you just feel completly sick. I was given another dose of the steroid to help with their lungs. It was as if time was standing still but also rushing so fast for me. I was poked and prodded for a few hours and was given a little time then to relax. I was tracking my contractions and with the last one I tracked I had felt pressure so I called to have the doctor check me. Of course I was further dilated and things were not stopping like we had hoped. The doctor could feel that Elijah's head was making its way farther down. Within minutes I was being prepped for an emergency C-section.


   It was about 4:30 in the morning and my dad was finally calling me back. I let him know what was going on and was able to talk to my mom as well. They all packed up their things and headed straight back home. My dad had updated my brother with the news and he immediately rushed to the hospital to be my side through all this.



  I was wheeled into a surgery room alone and Jake had to wait out in the hall. I was terrified; my entire body was shaking on this tiny table as they did a spinal block to start the c-section. I'm pretty sure my naked body lay on a table with at least a half dozen people in the room. After they blocked
 


me they strapped me down to the table with my arms and body making a shape of a T. When the nasal cannula for oxygen was placed in my nose I felt as if I was being suffocated and just wanted to run out of there. The spinal caused my blood pressure to drop which the gave me medicine to bring my blood pressure back up but all this was causing me to dry heave and become super nauseous. I was cold, scared and just wanting Jake to be by my side.



  Finally, Jake was allowed in and the procedure was ready to start. I remember trying to listen to what was being said behind the curtain but my blood pressure kept dropping and I just kept puking into a plastic bag and having puke suctioned out of my mouth. I couldnt feel anything painful but you could feel the tugging on my body from them trying to get the babies out. I remember them saying twin A (Elijah) was out but I heard nothing. A few minutes later twin B (Owen) and I heard a faint cry come from him. I wasn’t able to see them since they were rushed off to be cared for.



   I was finally in recovery and they don’t waste a minute. They give you everything you need to start pumping and making milk for your babies. I was in shock I don’t think I was able to process what was happening from the moment my water broke and when the boys where born. I had surprisingly stayed very calm and didn’t even cry. I honestly dont think I believed what was truly happening. It was over 5 hours before I was able to actually see my babies. All I could get was updates from my nurses on how they were doing which wasnt much information.






  Elijah was born at 5:28am weighing 1lb 4oz and Owen was born at 5:30am weighing 1lb 6oz , they both were 12 ¾ inches long. This was now the abrupt end to my pregnancy and the start to the roller coaster ride of a NICU journey.

Comments